Friday, January 13, 2012

MLK, a 10 Year Old Girl, and the Perfect Role Model

MLK

“But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force… Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.”
If you, like me, didn’t recognize these words upon first glance, it may be because these words are overshadowed by the more famous words,
“I have a dream.”
I’m a bit ashamed to say that I hadn’t read his speech in its entirety before this week, and if you haven’t as well you can find it here. It is (obviously) a deeply moving piece and his intricate use of vocabulary and figurative language made me realize that he was not only an incredible visionary and civil rights leader, but he was also brilliant as a writer. Anyhow, on to my post…


A 10 Year Old Girl


A few weeks ago I sat down to have a conference with a girl after a week where she got in multiple confrontations with many students, was generally disrespectful and ornery to teachers and peers alike, and even had to take a walk to calm herself down because (in her words):
“I don’t like it when good things happen to other people and not me.”
Several minutes into the conversation, this exchange took place:

Me: “Are you happy more than you are angry? Or are you angry more than you are happy?"
Student (arms crossed): “I’m angry more. I’m angry all the time.”
Me: “Why do you think that is?”
Student: “Because people make me mad.”
Me: “Why do people make you mad?”
Student: “Because I don’t like them.”
Me: “Why don’t you like them?”
Student: “Because no one likes me.”
Me: “Why do you think no one likes you?”
Student: “I don’t know.”
Me: “Do you think it’s because you’re mean to other students?”
Student: “Well, they make me mad and annoy me!”
Me: “Everyone makes you mad?”
Student: “Well, Teresa* doesn’t. She’s nice to me. But, she’s nice to everyone.”
Me: “That’s interesting. Do you think Teresa is happy most of the time?”
Student: “Yeah, she’s always happy. I’ve never seen her get mad.”
Me: “So what you’re saying is that Teresa is nice to everyone and she’s always happy?”
Student (pauses): “Yeah…”

A light of uncertainty and recognition flickered in her usually hate-filled eyes.

***************************

Next Monday is Martin Luther King Day and this week in Language Arts we have been reading and analyzing Dr. King’s speech. After discussing how Dr. King’s groundbreaking idea of peaceful demonstration proved to be far more effective than violence, that same little girl raised her hand.

“My mom tells me that if somebody does something I don’t like I should fight back. She tells me to hit people if they bother me. Shouldn’t I listen to my mom?"
The same flickering light I saw in her eyes a few weeks ago was back.

A 10 year old girl who is constantly angry at the world – but has the utmost admiration for Martin Luther King – seems to have come to a crossroad. I wonder… will the beacon of hope that radiates from Martin Luther King’s words overcome the darkness that engulfs her in her home environment? A few days dedicated to learning the philosophies of the staunchest proponent of peace in our nation’s history is trying to overcome a lifetime of cancerous hatred that is being fed to her by the person that holds the most influence on her young mind.

The Perfect Role Model


2,000 years ago, as He was being arrested in the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus stopped His followers from drawing swords against his accusers. In submitting to peace, He proclaimed His love to all and in doing so ensured the success of the greatest civil rights movement in human history.

The Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. had the perfect role model to lead him, one that he turned to every day of his life. In doing so, he led our nation's great Civil Rights Movement and became an incredible role model to others - even 10 year old children that have less-than-ideal home environments. I pray for these children. I hope you will as well – even those of you that don’t usually pray.


*Name changed

4 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post. And you're a good teacher. I think that conversation you had with her will really stick with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's had a good start to the third quarter so I'm hoping so! But it's an uphill battle - her societal influences will continue beyond this year so prayer is essential to protect her.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I wish all my teachers were like you. Wouldn't that make life easier. ;)You remind me of this professor named Randy Pausch. He wrote a book called The Last Lecture. You should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a news special on him and his son last year... Really cool stuff! Thanks for the very flattering comparison, although I don't think I quite deserve it! Maybe one day though =)

    ReplyDelete