Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dr. Lin and the Case of the Mysteriously Disappearing Hiccups

Yesterday, a student came up to me with a major problem:
Student: "Dr. Lin, I have the hiccups. They won't go away."
Me: "Hmm. Come with me, I have something for you."
I have an unusual (but very effective) cure for hiccups. I took him to the teacher's lounge, filled up a cup of water, and instructed him to drink while I pulled on his earlobes. And... his hiccups disappeared.

Right now I'm sure you have a very confused look on your face. You might even be thinking,
"What on earth? That's absolutely ridiculous."
Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. 10 years ago, I had the following conversation with a friend:
Me: "I've got the hiccups. They won't go away."
Friend: "I'll help you out. Get some water. I'll pull on your ears while you drink. I promise, your hiccups will be gone instantly."
Me: "That's stupid. I'll keep holding my breath. I'm sure they'll go away.”
After several hours of reoccurring hiccups, I finally relented.
Me: "OK fine. I've tried everything else. Do your thing. I can't believe I'm trying this."
I drank water as she stood behind me and pulled on my earlobes. Instantly, my hiccups disappeared.*

If only I was as open-minded as my 10 year old student, I wouldn’t have suffered through 4 hours of agony (yes, those hiccups were THAT bad!). There’s definitely something special (and rewarding!) about having faith like a child.


Author’s note: Years later, I found that there was a scientific reason for why this method works.

6 comments:

  1. Haha yeah it worked! It's the best hiccup cure ever, I promise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the scientific reason why it works?! You can't leave that out of the blog! I call "shenanigans"! This blog is false!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissy K -

    Your ears have vacuums inside them that need to be in balance. As you pull on your ears and swallow water, you balance out the vacuums. Check out the link below:

    Cure #5 isn't the exact method, but it applies the same principle:

    http://sip-information.com/how-to-cure-hiccups/

    BAM! Shenanigan THAT!!! Haha =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try it sometime... I promise you won't be disappointed! At the very least it will be entertaining for your friends to watch...

    ReplyDelete