Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Heartache in the Classroom: An unexpected Part II


Valor (noun) – boldness or determination in facing great danger, especially in battle; heroic courage. Synonyms: intrepidity, courage, bravery




Just under two weeks ago, I posted the beginning of a story with the topic of "Heartache" in the classroom. The very next day a different – and far more tragic – story of heartache rocked the suburban town of Newtown,Connecticut. While I still plan on continuing the story of Tala*, I wanted to write an unplanned segment on heartache – and heroism – in the classroom first.


***


Undaunted (adjective) –undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear; intrepid.


On December 14, 2012, a 20 year old man entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, and began shooting. 20 students lost their lives, along with 6 adults. Lost among the stories of tragedy was the story of Victoria Leigh Soto, the 1st grade teacher who did everything possible to protect her children. She hid them in closets and cabinets and, by many accounts, threw herself in front of her children when the gunman entered their classroom. Her students survived. Sadly, Ms. Soto – only 27 years old – did not. I consider Ms. Soto a hero.


When I read Ms. Soto’s story, I was struck by some of the similarities that she has with another person whom I read about not long ago: Jason Lee Dunham.


1)                  Both have the same middle name (albeit, different spellings)
2)                  Both were in occupations which they served others
3)                  Both received far to little pay for the service they provided
4)                  Both gave their lives protecting others at their job
5)                  Both were in their 20s when they passed away
6)                  Both are heroes to the truest extent

You see, Jason Lee Dunham was a 22 year-old Marine squad leader who jumped on a grenade in Iraq. His actions protected at least two of his fellow Marines from certain death. Corporal Dunham was posthumously awarded the highest honor our country can bestow upon anyone of the armed forces – the Medal of Honor. On his citation it reads,

By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life…

It is here where the stories of Jason Dunham, United States Marine, and Vicki Soto, 1st grade teacher, diverge.


***


I’m a veteran. Proud as I am of having served in the United States Marine Corps – Infantry no less! – I've always been a tiny bit uncomfortable when people have thanked me for my service. Perhaps it is because being recognized alongside combat veterans of Iraq,Vietnam,and WWII seems to make my service somewhat trivial. Or, maybe it is because I only served two years on active duty, spending the other 6 years of my time in the service as a reservist. Either way, I've never considered myself a hero; not on Memorial Day, Veteran’s Day, Independence Day, or any of the other days we use in the United States to recognize the men and women that have served our great nation.


If you were to take a poll of what might be considered ‘heroic’professions, I’d bet that ‘soldier’, ‘police officer’, and ‘fireman’ would all make the top 10. The reason is simple: for each, their job is to protect and serve, and they don’t have to be killed in the line of duty to command that respect. Similarly, I – like all other service members and veterans – am thanked and given respect regardless of how inconsequential we feel our time in the service was. Although I’ll never be comfortable being recognized in the same breath as the Jason Dunham’s of this world, I am comfortable with respect being shown for those that protect and serve others. I am comfortable that this respect stems in part because it is a ‘heroic’ profession. 


Vicki Soto, 1st grade teacher, had a job description which required her to protect and serve others. She showed uncommon valor in her actions on December 14, 2012. To all of us –especially the 1st graders and their families of room 10 in Sandy Hook Elementary – Ms. Soto is a hero for her undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty. But, here is where opinions might diverge: Victoria Soto was a hero before she selflessly gave her life to protect her class of 6-year olds. She didn't need to give her life for her to gain that respect.

I hope you will all join me to honor Victoria Leigh Soto the same way we honor the other courageous men and women who went above and beyond a hero's call for the sake of serving and protecting others.  Although I am a veteran, I have never been the hero she was during those dreadful moments on December 14, 2012.


***


To the teachers I have known – past, present, and future: I am thankful for your service.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This post was great. And like...it needs to go viral or something. I teared up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I haven't been this moved to write on something in quite a while... glad it's been well received =)

    ReplyDelete