Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Words Never Spoken: Prologue and Chapter I

Heronoun.  A man admired for his achievements and noble qualities; one who shows great courage.

Tonight I drove my hero to the airport.  No, Superman wasn’t in my passenger seat tonight, and neither were Derek Jeter or Hines Ward.  The person I dropped off at the airport tonight was Dr. Kuang Y. Lin.  After 46 years of living in the United States – exactly 2/3 of his life – my father is moving to the place he still considers home.  My father will be spending his retirement in Taiwan.  This is part I (of hopefully many!) of my tribute to the greatest man that I know.



Prologue


The word 'love' is a complex word in English.  It can be a noun, and it can be a verb.  In Taiwanese, it's not a complex word at all.  That's because there isn't a word for 'love' in Taiwanese.  It doesn't exist.  Maybe that's why I never heard or said the words, "I love you" in the household growing up.  Those words didn't exist.  They were words never spoken.

Similarly, my relationship with my father has been both complex and, on occasion, non-existent.  If you ask either of us, we can probably recall numerous times where I’ve been a terrible son or he’s been a poor father.  I guess this is common for many; after all, we are only human and none of us gets a manual on how to be a good father/son.  Most of us mature and grow out of the stage where we can’t stand our parents, but unfortunately I tend to be a late bloomer.  It has only been in recent years where I’ve realized he’s my hero, and that I want very badly to be more like him.  The evolution of our relationship from one of anger and borderline loathing to one of respect and love is one of many chapters.


Chapter I:  Mr. Barca


“Mr. Barca, I heard that you were an engineer in Ethiopia.”

One of the greatest parts about my job is that I can see parts of my life in each of my 10 year olds.  The week before parent-teacher conferences, another teacher had told me that Mr. Barca, father of one of my students, had been an aeronautical engineer in his native Ethiopia.  

Mr. Barca smiled at me and nodded. 

“Back home, I was,” he said in his soft-spoken way.  “But I need to get more schooling in order for me to be an engineer here in the United States.  I hope to be able to do this soon.  But first, I want to make sure my son gets a good education.”

Mr. Barca is the type of parent that teachers love.  He cares deeply about his son’s education and behavior, gives him plenty of support at home, and also respects and cares for his son’s teachers.  Beyond that, he also took a risk by giving up a great job in his native country to move to the United States.  As we talked about his journey, I began to think that he was similar in many ways to another great man in my life.  Mr. Barca is an engineer with a singular focus – to make sure his son is given the opportunities he didn’t have in Ethiopia.  Similarly, my father once had a singular focus.  It was this focus that brought him to the land of opportunity.


***


My father was born in 1943 in a rural town in central Taiwan.  He was the 4th of 6 boys, and there was no running water.  I think about the stench in my classroom on days where my students have P.E. and I cringe when I think of what things must have been like for my grandmother in a house full of boys.  Like me, he loved playing outdoors, got into a little mischief, and even got a bad grade a time or two in school.  In fact, he once got a 33% on a test in middle school.  Unlike me though, he cried when the teacher showed him his grade. 

At the ripe old age of 19, my father graduated from the Taiwan Institute of Technology (a hilarious aside – think about what the acronym for that is.  Yes, I’m a 5th grader at heart).  After serving his mandatory time in the Taiwanese Army, he became a math teacher, then made moldings for a gold company, and then sold electronics.  That last job paid him $75 per month – great pay at the time.  To give you an idea of how high this salary was, my grandfather was a well respected administrator in a hospital, and his pay was only $50 per month.  I asked my father years later why he gave up such a great job, and his answer was simple:

“I wanted to be an engineer.  The opportunities for engineering in Taiwan were not good at that time, and the best opportunity for me would be to come to the United States.”

For 3 years, my dad had a single goal – to come to the U.S. so he could get his engineering doctorate.  3 years is an eternity for a young man.  So much can change, and so much can serve to dissuade us from our initial goal.  I recall being asked where I saw myself in 5 years in an interview after graduating college.  Two years later I couldn’t tell you what that goal was because so much had changed.  But, my father is not like me.  His focus never deviated.  For 3 years, he and my grandfather saved their meager salaries until they had $800 for the one-way ticket to the U.S.  Then, my grandfather mortgaged the land he owned so that my dad could have 2 semesters worth of rent and food.  Everything was in place; my father was about to come to the United States.

I recently spoke with my dad about this dynamic time in his life:

Me:     “Dad, were you scared or nervous when you were getting ready to come to the U.S.?”

Dad:    “No, I was excited.” 

Me:     “Just excited?  I think I’d be scared too.  I mean, what if you didn’t make it in your Ph.D?”

Dad:    “Grampa sacrificed a lot for me.  I couldn’t fail.”


I’ve often thought about that conversation.  Even though I know my grandfather loved my father dearly; culturally, the shame that would have been felt would have been too much for my father to withstand.  On top of that, it would have been financially impossible for him to return to Taiwan.  The courage that my father had to take that risk – to go for his dream despite not having a safety net in case of failure – was incredible, and even heroic.  I want that same noble quality that he has.  I want the courage to strive for a worthwhile goal.  I want to be able to do this with the persistence and single-mindedness that comes when failure is not an option. My father’s admirable achievements in his amazing life are in large part because he has the courage that few men possess.   



No comments:

Post a Comment