Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK would have LOVED the Yankees...




Happy MLK Day!  I realize I have a few posts that need continuation, but I wanted to honor a great man today.  Thanks for reading, and to view last year’s MLK post, click here




Don’t be a Hater!


During the first week of school I was taking a sip of coffee from my Pittsburgh Steelers coffee cup when one of my students decided to use that moment to introduce me to his favorite team.

Bastien:          “The Steelers suck.”
Mr. Lin:         “Thanks for your opinion, but we don’t use that word in my classroom.  I take it you’re a Ravens fan?” 
Bastien:          “Yup.  And I hate the Steelers.”

I figured this much, since the Ravens are the arch rivals of the Black and Gold.  Then, when the Steelers lost to the Ravens in late November, he used this opportunity to try and provoke a response:

Bastien:          “Haha, Steelers lost.  We beat you!”
Mr. Lin:         “Yeah, it was a great game… the Ravens played really well.”
Bastien:          “You’re not mad we beat you guys?”
Mr. Lin:           “Honestly, I cheered for the Ravens last year during the playoffs once the Steelers lost.  I really like their style of play.  I know it’s a rivalry, but it’s just a game.”

Bastien:          “Yeah, but we’re rivals!  We hate each other!”
Mr. Lin:         “Yeah, but if I find myself cheering against a team I know my life is consumed by hate.  I’d rather just cheer for my team.  I’d rather my life have more love in it than hate.”

            I hoped those words would resonate in him…


The Power of Love


Often lost in the recounting of the Civil Rights movement is the ground-breaking way that it was carried out.  Yes, we may know the theory behind civil disobedience and peaceful resistance, but do we truly understand how difficult it must have been to carry out?  After all, it is far more intuitive to think about exacting revenge and to allow our hate to engulf us than to love.  But, as Martin Luther King, Jr. so eloquently states,

“I have decided to stick to love...Hate is too great a burden to bear.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

On this Martin Luther King Day, I want to recognize a great man who understood that hate was a burden.  This man realized that that it’s consuming nature is far more destructive to its owner than to anyone it might be directed towards.  Because of Dr. King’s great leadership, a nation found that love is a far more powerful and effective weapon than hate.  


A 10-year old boy


In a world where sports have become more important in our daily lives than God and country, families and friends are often divided along team allegiances.  Many carry the hate of another team more strongly than their love for their own team.  I recall an encounter a few months ago with an Orioles fan who angrily told me he could not bring himself to cheer for the Yankees, even if a Yankee victory was necessary for his team to make it to the playoffs.  I wonder… how much does resentment affect his life?  In what other areas does it manifest itself?

As an educator, I’m determined to teach the lessons that we aren’t required to teach.  I know these lessons are the ones that are of greater importance to one’s overall satisfaction with life than being able to write eloquent essays or perform computation that most adults use calculators for.  I pray each day for my students to see that life success is beyond academics and money.  I pray that their lives will be filled with love, and not by hate.

When the playoffs began two weeks ago, the Ravens were in the playoffs and the Steelers had not.  Bastien and I exchanged words once again:

Bastien:          “Sorry your Steelers didn’t make it this year.” 

His normally jestful eyes were thoughtful and genuine.

Mr. Lin:         “Yeah, it kinda stinks.  Oh well… I’ll be cheering for the Ravens.  It would be great for Ray Lewis to go out with a ring.”
Bastien:          “Yeah, it would be.” 


When the Ravens square off against the San Francisco 49ers on February 3rd, I’m happy that I’ll be rooting FOR a team, and not AGAINST one.



Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another – Romans 13:8a

No comments:

Post a Comment